Click on the DirtonDirt.com logo below for the most complete Dirt Late Model coverage anywhere

For the Best RV Sales and Service

*********************

Rich's Articles & Blogs

Meta


« How long will it take for Kyle Busch to retaliate on Harvick? | Main | Will strong finish by Edwards result in 2011 success? »

Logano radio chatter foretold of second run in with Montoya

By admin | November 22, 2010

By Richard Allen

 

On lap 140 of the Ford 400 at the Miami-Homestead Speedway Juan Pablo Montoya and Joey Logano got together. The contact sent Logano head on into the outside wall and heavily damaged his Toyota.

Later, Logano came back onto the track and slammed into Montoya’s Chevrolet as the two rode around under caution. For anyone listening to the radio communication between Logano and his crew after the initial incident it should not have come as a surprise when the two cars made contact the second time around.

“The 42 did it so we’re going to fix it and go back out and wreck the p(bad word),” declared a voice over the Joe Gibbs Racing team radio. “I hope they are listening and heard that.” Presumably the voice was that of crew chief Greg Zipadeli.

“I gave him plenty of room,” Logano said of the initial accident. “I just felt like I got hooked. That’s two times with him this year so we’ve got to figure that out. I don’t know what the deal is.”

About 25 laps after his return to the track Logano did exactly as his crew member said he would. A twitter message from the @JoeGibbsRacing account left little doubt as to what happened. “Joey wrecked the 42 under caution. Both in garage,” said the tweet.

This was far from the first such incident for the young Logano. Earlier this season he was bumped by Kevin Harvick late in a race at Pocono. That led to a pit road confrontation between the drivers, their crews and even some family members.

Apparently it was not the first such run-in between Logano and Montoya either. According to JGR President J.D. Gibbs it was only a matter of time before such as what happened on Sunday took place. “That one has been around for a while,” Gibbs said. “That was just frustration on his part.”

According to reports, Montyoa and Zipadeli engaged in a civil conversation in the garage area after the second incident.

Unfortunately, there was no video coverage of the contact between the two cars under the caution or of the garage area meeting as ESPN had by that time focused their attention entirely on the three way championship battle.

Follow @RacingWithRich on twitter and Facebook by clicking on the icon of either social network on the left side of the page.

Here are other columns you may find interesting:

How long will it take for Kyle Busch to retaliate on Harvick? http://racingwithrich.com/?p=1320

What is the significance of five championships in a row? http://racingwithrich.com/?p=1319

Johnson claims fifth title as rivals falter http://racingwithrich.com/?p=1318

Davenport scores impressive SAS finale victory in Cleveland http://tennesseeracer.com/?p=1274

For links to all sorts of dirt racing news http://dirtracinstation.blogspot.com/

Topics: Articles |

One Response to “Logano radio chatter foretold of second run in with Montoya”

  1. steven Says:
    November 24th, 2010 at 11:11 am

    This should not be allowed. It is a bad example of sportsmanship to young viewers and young racers. It is more suited to the WWF. Officials just standing around while idiots like Logano are deliberately destroying equipment.