Click on the DirtonDirt.com logo below for the most complete Dirt Late Model coverage anywhere

For the Best RV Sales and Service

*********************

Rich's Articles & Blogs

Meta


« Kenseth being added to a number of enemy lists | Main | Open weekend comes at a bad time for NASCAR »

Kevin Conway statement has not helped his standing among NASCAR insiders

By admin | March 9, 2011


By Richard Allen

This past Friday Robby Gordon allegedly attacked Kevin Conway in the ‘Neon Garage’ at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. According to reports seen in various areas, Gordon supposedly confronted Conway and soon afterwards the situation turned physical.

In that regard, Conway issued the following statement: “I don’t mind stiff competition, but I want to make sure the hard facts are told. First and foremost, I love being a part of NASCAR and have worked very hard to earn the privilege of competing in the Sprint Cup Series. On Friday night, Robby Gordon, who has a long history of issues in NASCAR decided to ambush me in the garage area at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway, completely unprovoked. Robby even confronted Joe Nemechek, my car owner, on pit road during Cup Series qualifying shoving him and telling him that he was looking for me and going to assault me. We have many witnesses including a crew chief that signed a police report documenting the truth of his physical attack on me. Situations like this are not good for our sport. It’s one thing if we were racing each other and I wrecked him or he wrecked me, that’s an entirely different situation. It’s very unfortunate that he chose to physically attack me to address his rage. Our fans, sponsors and NASCAR expect and deserve more from our competitors than this bullish, illegal behavior that was displayed by Robby against me.”

The alleged incident apparently stems from legal proceedings between the two drivers.

Last year, Conway drove one of Gordon’s cars for a short time with the understanding that ExtenZe, a company which produces a male enhancement drug, would provide sponsorship of the car. According to Gordon, those sponsorship payments were not made in full. In turn, Gordon supposedly never paid Conway a portion of what he was supposed to have earned for his driving services. This has resulted in lawsuits being filed between the mentioned parties.

Gordon has released a statement refuting Conway’s claims about the alleged incident. He says that no punches were thrown, but rather, a heated argument was all that took place.

Whether any money is ever recovered or not, the problem for Conway in this matter may run deeper than financial. His career may have taken a dramatic turn. Even if payment is gained, credibility may well have been irreparably lost in a place where it matters most to a NASCAR driver, the garage area.

Since the above statement was released, the social networking site, twitter, has been abuzz with ridicule and mockery. A number of well known drivers, media personalities and fans have weighed in about the statement’s wording. The fact that Conway’s sponsor is a male enhancement product and the words “stiff” and “hard” were used within the first sentence of the paragraph was seemingly not lost on anyone. But more importantly, the additional comments made by others were particularly telling.

To be perfectly honest, I find it difficult to take Conway’s statement seriously due to that very wording. It almost seems to be so over the top that one almost wants to believe it to be some sort of contrived means of garnering attention for ExtenZe.

Brad Keselowski (@keselowski) openly laughed at the inescapable phrasing. Worse, Brendan Gaughan(@Gaughan62) declared, “Conway is a wuss”. A number of media personalities and fans have devised innumerable ‘tweets’ making fun of and adding to the wording contained within the statement.

Ultimately, it seems to be somewhat obvious that Kevin Conway has damaged himself in the incident with Robby Gordon occurred. While it was Gordon who was branded as the aggressor and placed on probation by NASCAR, it is likely that Conway will be branded as the loser of credibility among his peers when all is said and done.

Follow @RacingWithRich on twitter and Facebook by clicking on the icon of either social network on the left side of the page.

Please check out other stories of interest under ‘Rich’s Articles and Blogs’ in the left hand column of this page.

Topics: Articles |

7 Responses to “Kevin Conway statement has not helped his standing among NASCAR insiders”

  1. Bill B Says:
    March 10th, 2011 at 7:15 am

    FYI - Kevin Conway had no credibility to begin with. He was only in there because he had a sponsor backing him. Then, he continually fell out of the top 35 and the team played musical drivers to keep him locked in. Where’s the credibility in that.
    If Robby did throw a punch then he was wrong to do so. This is a business issue and you work out contract differences in court.

  2. Matt Says:
    March 10th, 2011 at 9:59 am

    Couldn’t have said it better myself. Danica, Crocker, J Jo, etc are bigger ‘men’ than he is or ever will be! Go back to wherever it is you came from conway. You are an embarassment to yourself and this sport. Slowest car on track just about every time, but manage to pay your way (wait, promise to pay then don’t pay) into the races. Loser.

  3. John Says:
    March 10th, 2011 at 1:40 pm

    Some people can drive, others just bring money. Kevin Conway has proven repeatedly he can do neither.

    Conway broke the unwritten code that’s been honored by drivers since the dawn of auto racing and then mocked it by issuing a statement integrating buzz words to draw obvious attention to his sponsor, a sponsor with a well-documented history of leaving a trail of bounced checks.

  4. Charles Says:
    March 10th, 2011 at 1:44 pm

    I have more respect for Kevin Conway than Tony Stewart!!!

    Here is a driver that has pushed or hit reporters, drivers and others and somehow he keep getting a pass!!!

    Thought that his anger management class was going to help!

    Then just months ago he hit a person at a Austrian Racetrack, but seems the press just says ‘That Just Tony”! Its time someone give him some of his own medicine!

  5. Earner Says:
    March 10th, 2011 at 3:24 pm

    Conway the Rookie (by default) of the year who can’t race his way in,get to the leaders (ever) & turns out is more of a accountant than a credible racer. Nascar needs less of his kind not more. Called the police. Well that worked so good for Kurt Bush & Sharpees & he can drive. Danica sounds more like a man than the little boy conway. Note I would go out of my way to make sure I never purchase a product who sponsors this boy & I really dislike (but have some respect for) Robby Gordon. Send him to Jimmy Spencer

  6. Earner Says:
    March 10th, 2011 at 3:28 pm

    & Charles Tony did get smacked in Australia he just did’nt cry about it & Tony we need. Their all getting just to polished these days. Oh well thers always F1. NOTE: Thank goodness theres still the NHRA where men are men

  7. Charles Says:
    March 10th, 2011 at 4:39 pm

    @Earner

    I dont think “throwing a helmet” and almost according to reports knocked the race track officials eye socket out was “very manly” especially when the conversation was about the “safety of the race track”!!!!!!

    Seems the rest of the drivers didnt have a problem!!!!