Click on the DirtonDirt.com logo below for the most complete Dirt Late Model coverage anywhere

For the Best RV Sales and Service

*********************

Rich's Articles & Blogs

Meta


« Simply changing the body style won’t fix the CoT | Main | NASCAR, MillerCoors and Penske Racing Announce Partnership Extensions »

Was that Bruton Smith admitting fault regarding Kentucky traffic issues?

By admin | January 25, 2012

By Richard Allen

 

I am not attending the Sprint Media Tour this week in Charlotte but I am following the activities there very closely both on Twitter and via the Speed television network show ‘Race Hub’. And if I’m not mistaken, I believe I detected at least a partial admission of fault by Bruton Smith regarding the traffic disaster during last July’s race weekend at the Kentucky Speedway.

“We are going to do it right this time,” Smith declared while talking to the assembled media. “I think we should have a second inaugural for a do-over so we can get it right.”

By saying they would get it right this time at least sounds as though Smith and his Speedway Motorsports, Inc are taking some responsibility for the situation last year during the track’s first Sprint Cup weekend in which traffic jams were so severe that many fans were late or missed the race all together. However, just after the event, Smith went on the rampage blaming I-71 for its lack of adequate space, the Governor of Kentucky for not providing funding for proper exit ramps and the company contracted to assist with parking for not sending enough employees.

Back in July when pressed about the facility’s apparent lack of sufficient parking space Smith was insistent that such was not the case. However, he announced at Wednesday’s press briefing that the track has added over 200 acres of additional land for parking. Also, a pedestrian tunnel will be in place by the time of the track’s next event to allow fans access to the facility from the new parking field.

“We want the chance to prove ourselves,” the SMI Chairman declared. “You will see when you come back all the improvements.”

Those improvements are due to be completed by May 4th with the next Sprint Cup event at Kentucky Speedway set for June 30th. More than a few fans vowed not to return last year after Smith’s dismissive comments in regard to the possibility of refunds and his refusal to accept fault. What remains to be seen is if enough fans return to even warrant all the improvements.

Here’s what Bruton Smith was saying immediately after last year’s race in Kentucky-> http://racingwithrich.com/?p=1471

I currently have 1838 followers on Twitter. If I reach 2000 by the day of the Daytona 500 I will host a ‘Pick the Winner’ contest for that race which will pay $50 to the winner. So, if you are already on Twitter follow @RacingWithRich for a chance to win. If you’re not on Twitter come on board and join the discussion.

Click the Twitter link on the left side of the page to follow.

Topics: Articles |

4 Responses to “Was that Bruton Smith admitting fault regarding Kentucky traffic issues?”

  1. Tony Geinzer Says:
    January 26th, 2012 at 7:43 am

    Rich, Kentucky has gotten a critical knock for being “Not Ready for Prime Time” and I felt even though this is not related, but NASCAR was so concerned with Newton management that the stigma existed.

  2. Keith Says:
    January 26th, 2012 at 11:14 am

    It can’t be anybody but Bruton’s fault with all the tracks he owns and experience he has he had to have known that this would happen or he is completley clueless which I doubt. He has to be using the problems to get the state of Kentucky to pay for upgrades they did not want to do. Nascar should publicly tell him if it happens again they will insist that he move the date to another facility or they will move it for him and his company might lose a race date for good if he does not agree to it, which If I ran Nascar I would of told him the morning after the race last year. Nascar should not be racing at Kentucky speedway this season or until all the work is done and inspected just like they would do to any track that is asking to be on the schedule that is not owned by ISC or SMI just ask the last owners of Kentucky about the process which Bruton seems to have gotten around.

  3. Russ Says:
    January 26th, 2012 at 11:28 am

    Bruton got what he wanted, the taxpayers to put up the money, so why not admit now that they screwed up.

  4. Steve Says:
    January 26th, 2012 at 12:06 pm

    Its not going to matter anyway. There will be far less fans attending this race than there were last year so there should be plenty of room for everyone to get in and see the race. If you were one of those that paid for a ticket, missed the race because you were stuck in traffic, would you attempt to do it again, knowing it could possibly happen again? I know I wouldn’t.

    Not sure why anyone would want to go to this track for a race anyway. Its the most boring race on the schedule. It was in Nationwide, it was in Trucks. Why Nascar thought it was good to get it on the Cup schedule is beyond me.