By admin | January 24, 2009
By Richard Allen
Watching the 24 Hours of Daytona got me to thinking. What would it be like if NASCAR were to stage a 24 hour race?
Here are some things that might take place during the course of such an event:
1. There would be 77 debris cautions.
2. Michael Waltrip could film 5 new commercials during the stints in which he was not driving.
3. NASCAR could send Jim Hunter out at regularly scheduled 3 hour intervals to assure us that things are not as bad as they seem.
4. They could simply call the race the Pocono 500.
5. The guy sitting next to you could stand, raise his beer and yell, “Juuunnniiioorrrrr!” 2,455 times.
6. There would be 6 major rule changes.
7. Matt Kenseth would get excited enough to change the tone of his voice…0 times.
8. Richard Childress could go hunting on two continents and still make it back for the finish.
9. Carl Edwards could either make mad or get mad at every one of the 42 other drivers.
10. The race would run for 23:45 at which time NASCAR could throw a caution, bring out the jet driers, then have a green/white/checker finish.
Richard Allen is a member of the National Motorsports Press Association. His weekly column appears in The Mountain Press every Wednesday.
Topics: Articles |