Click on the DirtonDirt.com logo below for the most complete Dirt Late Model coverage anywhere

For the Best RV Sales and Service

*********************

Rich's Articles & Blogs

Meta


« How about not awarding any points in NASCAR’s major races? | Main | DeWalt leaving Kenseth likely spells the end for Ragan »

Odds are it will be either Stewart or Vickers will be on pole in Indy

By admin | July 23, 2009


By Richard Allen

Wondering who will start from the pole position in the Brickyard 400? Based on recent history, there are two possibilities. It will either be Tony Stewart or Brian Vickers.

Of the past six scheduled qualifying sessions on the Sprint Cup Series, three have been rained out. A rained out qualifying session will result in the field being set by the Sprint Cup standings. In that case Tony Stewart would be awarded the inside of the front row. Qualifying has been rained out a total of four times in 2009.

If qualifying takes place, Brian Vickers has to be considered a favorite for the top spot. Vickers has won the pole for each of the last three races to have actually completed time-trials.

Vickers and his #83 Red Bull Toyota team have won a total of five poles this season.

In a sense, Vickers has become the new Ryan Newman. He has taken the place of the driver who once used to be known as a Mr. Friday of sorts. Of course, this weekend Mr. Saturday would be a more appropriate title since qualifying will take place on that day instead of the usual Friday.

Saturday’s forecast as of this writing called for a 40% chance of rain in Indianapolis. So, there would seem to be a 40% chance of Stewart being on the pole and a 60% chance of that spot going to Vickers.

Richard Allen is a member of the National Motorsports Press Association. His weekly column appears in The Mountain Press every Wednesday.

Topics: Articles |

Comments are closed.